I used to be a runner. Back in December of 2009, I ran my first training mile. If I remember correctly, it was a bone-chilling 22 degrees and it took me about 17 minutes. I was inspired by the TV show Biggest Loser and decided the night before I wanted to run a full marathon. Twelve months later on November 27th, I did just that. I ran 26.2 miles with a 12-minute pace.
This weekend my husband and I attended a marriage conference led by Paul David Tripp. I highly recommend reading ANY of his books, and wow, he has a LOT. His teaching is refreshing and simple and yet so profound. Plus, the guy has good style for a 66-year-old man. #justsayin
He talked quite a bit about the heart. “What controls your heart will control your behavior” and “the things you treasure will control your heart.” Us humans have heart problems and treasure problems.
I both liked and disliked his definition of the the word love.
Love is willing self-sacrifice, for the good of another, that does not demand reciprocation or that the person being loved is deserving.
Yowza. Tough stuff, right?!
So the hubs and I are going on 16 years of marriage this fall. We have a lot of undoing and learning and redoing and growing, but we’ll keep pressing onward and upward. It’s by the grace of God where we even are today.
I’m thankful to serve a God who gives us the ability to LOVE like him, to find JOY in Him, to have PEACE through Him, to learn PATIENCE, to show KINDNESS, to share His GOODNESS, to live in FAITHFULNESS, to learn the art of GENTLENESS and to discover what it means to have SELF-CONTROL.
I’ll never do any of those things above perfectly. Remember, like you, I have heart problems + I’m not talking about my own strength up there, but God’s.
It takes dependence on him to walk humbly (not perfectly) through any of those things. Daily dependence! Daily turning to God! Daily asking for the strength given ONLY by Him to love as He loves. Sometimes it’s easy and sometimes it’s hard. His mercies are new every morning!
The fruits of the spirit can only be found through God, Christ and the Holy Spirit. Our humanness can only get us so far, especially in marriage. I know this to be true for myself as I can quickly become unloving and negative, argumentative, impatient, rude and critical, uncaring and harsh; all things that stem from selfishness.
All this to say, I am thankful for God’s grace in my marriage today. And to encourage YOU to show your spouse grace today! Give yourself grace too!
Let God teach you how to love well. I’m working on doing the same.
Last month, I went to a women’s brunch. A friend of mine was speaking. The last time I heard her speak to a group of women was in 2006. Back then, she talked about brokenness, reconciliation and a stolen stereo. I remember it well because her story resonated with mine.
It was a beautiful spring day. The opportunity had come, the timing was more than right. It was perfect. I knew I had enough courage to follow through with it—not because of my own doing, but because of the strength given by Almighty God. It is a journey I look back on often, as a reminder of his faithfulness.
Hello! Happy New Year! I’m only 33 days late. Are you surprised? I’ve had so much to say, but so little time to say it, which is probably a good thing. I am ALL FOR the sharing of our hearts and minds and think it is good + right to stand up for what we believe in. I never did get around to sharing my thoughts on the American flag, why black lives actually do matter and whether or not I think George Dubya is a drunk or just a silly old man.
Well, I did it! I made it to the last day in the Write 31 Days Challenge. I’m already looking forward to next year! I’m not sure if I’ll continue my series on Writing Naked or come up with something new altogether. The challenge of writing 31 blog posts (in my case, 30) was so much harder than I thought it would be.
It’s Day 30. I can’t believe this thing is almost over. I came across this little saying recently and it made me laugh. “Never tell your problems to anyone-20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” This could very well be true, but it doesn’t stop me from sharing my life-the good, the bad and the ugly. If anything, I’ve learned a lot about myself over these last 30 days.
Blast. I’m behind again. It’s Day 28 and my last two days have gone unpublished. I gotta get caught up because I want to finish on time! If I can do that, then it will mean I’ve improved on the whole late thang, right? Yep, right. It’s a good thing I have my own blog. I can do this 31-day thing however I want.